The Cape Breton Regional Chamber of Commerce offers free training opportunities sponsored through Labour and Advanced Education and their Workplace Education Initiative. This initiative promotes learning at work and supports the development of your workers by increasing their workplace skills. These programs and offerings are always expanding and being added, so it is important to ensure that you are opening the Chamber Weekly newsletter and member-only emails to stay up to date.
To register for any of the courses below, please email Melissa at [email protected]
The Chamber of Commerce is excited to be offering certification for the Atlantic Trade Business Seal for Atlantic journeypersons through the Workplace Education Initiative.
Start Date: April 21 | End Date: June 23 | Time: Thursdays from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm | Location: Virtual via Zoom | Free |
Course Description: The most transformational leaders will tell you that achieving this and sustaining it on a consistent basis is not for the faint of heart, especially for those who are committed to building their organization as an “Employer of Choice”. This 40-hour workplace education program is intended for small to medium-sized business owners and their managers who have employees and who want to develop and/or strengthen their leadership acumen.
- Identifying the foundations of leadership
- Identifying your personal leadership style
- Identifying and applying the five levels of leadership
- Applying Covey’s seven habits when leading others in the workplace
- Demonstrating the characteristics of trust
- Effectively leading a change process in the workplace
- Identifying the pillars of a respectful workplace
Project Management Essentials
Start Date: April 21 | End Date: June 23 | Time: Thursdays from 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm | Location: Virtual via Zoom | Free |
Course Description: Do you want your employees to have clear lines of communication and work effectively together to meet their targets on a shared initiative? Do you want the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a project as successful as you know it can be?
If you answered Yes to one or more of these questions, Project Management Essentials would be a smart investment of your time. Many business people think Project Management training is only for those working in large companies who head huge projects. Not true! Project Management is an essential skill that every business person could benefit from, understanding and applying inside their company every day.
This 40-hour program is designed to provide you with the fundamentals of Project Management with hands-on, practical know-how. In fact, to make your learning as relevant as possible, participants are asked to choose their own project to apply throughout the course.
- Determine the scope of your project and set up achievable goals
- Assign the right people for each task of the project and make sure they understand what is expected of them before the project starts
- Create a schedule for the project with key performance targets and estimated times for completion
- Develop a budget so you know what it is going to cost before you start
- Create a plan for communicating with everyone throughout the project so the team never feels they are out of the loop
- Assess the effectiveness of the project at the end so you can continue to apply best practices on future projects
Navigating the Virtual World
Start Date: TBD | Time: Monday mornings from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm | Location: Virtual via Zoom | Free |
Course Description: During these unprecedented times that we are facing, businesses need to adapt to different ways in order to prosper. Moving to an online platform can be challenging and daunting but a necessity for now and the future. Join us for this 10-week course where we will ease your fears and prepare you to ignite your business online. Prepare for the future and take the stress out of the ordinary.
- Internet safety
- Computer safety
- Managing your banking online
- Online meeting platforms
- Social media platforms
Building a Financial Blueprint
Start Date: April 14 | End Date: June 16 | Time: Wednesday mornings from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm | Location: Virtual via Zoom | Free |
Course Description: The outcome of this training is for businesses to create a blueprint to manage financial risk within their organizations. This blueprint will guide owners and managers in making deliberate decisions inside their business based on prudent cash flow management.
- Understanding your financial why and how to calculate it
- How to calculate your cash flow runway (outflows)
- How to calculate your cash flow (inflows)
- How to maintain and increase value
- Understanding how to use financing to mitigate risk in your business
- How to maximize debt planning opportunities while minimizing risk
- How to talk to a lender
- Value-based pricing for profit
- Creation of the Financial Blueprint